I went to the clinic this morning for my blood work and an ultrasound to check everything before we start IUI Cycle #2. Each cycle starts this way, a check of my Estradoil (E2) levels and a good look at my giblets (ovaries and uterus). It's a rather strange little thing to go through. I step into a small dressing room, disrobe from the waist down, wrap a paper blanket around myself and shuffle into the ultrasound room. There is always a sonographer and a study coordinator in the room. I do have to say that I absolutely love the study coordinators. There are three women about my age and they are wonderful; so caring and understanding, willing to answer any questions I have. Two of the girls are runners too, so we've been talking about races this summer and our training schedules. It's nice to connect.
Okay, back to the giblet check. The sonographer performs the ultrasound. During a regular ART cycle, there is usually just the sonographer who will then give the ultrasound results to the RE to interpret. But since I am taking part in a study a coordinator is always present to record all of my results.
The sonographer studies the ultrasound pictures on the screen and calls out the measurements and findings to the coordinator who then records them for the study. As I was lying on the table this morning the sonographer started her measurements, checking my antral follicle count, measuring my lining, ovary size and corpus luteum cysts (the follicle casings remaining from any eggs that were released during my previous cycle.) She counted five antrals on my right side, and two corpus luteum cysts. Then she measured the cysts. One was something, I can't remember the size, and the second on was 47mm.
Oh. Shit.
I knew it right then. In order to avoid overstimulation most RE's worth their salt won't start another medicated cycle if there are any cysts over 30mm. For those of you who don't remember metric conversions from elementary school, I have a nice little almost two inch cyst in my right ovary.
She went on to measure my left, 8 antrals and one corpus luteum cyst plus two more. This corpus luteum one was 49mm! What!?! I have another almost two inch cyst in my left ovary!
A cyst aren't necessarily a bad thing; they actually means I ovulated. And the presence of three cysts means that I released three eggs this past cycle. This is a good thing, meaning that I responded well to the medications and produced some good little eggies.
The presence of the large cysts isn't so uncommon on a medicated cycle. But it does mean that we have to sit this next cycle out and hope that my body recovers and that the cysts reduce in size (which they should). Taking the cycle off should allow time for recovery, and thankfully I don't lose one of my four treatment cycles--the cycle off doesn't count against us.
Scott and I were both disappointed. Really disappointed because the first IUI didn't work and then that we have to wait a month until we can start our second round. I guess I'll just take this next month as time to get healthier, eat well, and get back on my running schedule.

oh crap! I'm glad you won't lose out on any of your cycles, but I know the waiting still sucks.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing about the cysts, and then you said it. You ovulated at least 3 eggs!! That is great! So I guess there's a silver lining.
I just found your blog through IComLeavWe and was excited to find another blog about high FSH! I am just starting my infertility journey and have no idea what lies ahead. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteVisiting for ICLW. I know it is a bummer to sit out a cycle, but as you said, it gives your body time to re-adjust itself naturally and you time to do the things you love, both very important. So far I have always done the one month on, one month off routine. Treatment takes longer but the breaks can be good in many ways.
ReplyDeleteI am new to your blog (so I just gave you an award! Check out my home page at Stress Free Infertility) and I'm now following. Sorry about the cysts! I had them too for a while before starting IVF. I hope your next IUI will be it! I just added your link too!
ReplyDeletePopping in from ICLW. Sorry you have to wait, but hoping that you and your man can take this time to just relax and enjoy each other, before getting back on that IF treadmill we've all walked.
ReplyDeleteVisting from ICLW but now a follower. I am also in the process of IUI's, but am in the 2ww of my first. What meds are you on? Sorry you have to sit this cycle out, what kind of study are you participating in?
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the cysts. I am also a runner/triathlete and am going a bit crazy right now in my 2ww as the doctor has ordered no running right now. It's making staying sane much more difficult.
ReplyDeleteLiz, I am taking Femara. The study is to compare rates of multiple births using Femara or Clomid vs. injectable Menopur. I get four cycles of Femara and IUI.
ReplyDeleteI hope your TWW isn't too unbearable and I wish you the best of luck!
Isn't waiting the hardest with IF treatments? I always feel like time is slipping through my fingers when I have to wait before we can embark on a new cycle... Good luck with everything and thanks for stopping by my blog!
ReplyDeleteStopping by for ICLW! Good luck on your upcoming cycle! Hoping you get your miracle!
ReplyDelete