Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, March 26, 2011

PUPO

In the online land of infertility, there are abbreviations for just about everything. I've introduced you to a few, and others may be new to you, but to me they are standard:
FSH- Follicle Stimulating Hormone
BFP- Big Fat Positive (on a pregnancy test)
BFN- Big Fat Negative (on a pregnancy test)
DH- Dear Husband
DOR- Diminished Ovarian Reserve
IF- Infertilty
AF- Aunt Flow
IUI- Intra-uterine insemination
IVF- In-vitro fertilization
ART- Advanced Reproductive Treatments/Technology
TWW- Two Week Wait - the waiting period from the time a woman ovulates until she can take a pregnancy test (or until AF arrives)

I could go on and on. But I won't because I want to get to the best one yet.
I thought that my nearly three years dealing with trying to get pregnant and surfing my 'fantasy baby league' (as DH calls BabyCenter ) that I had come across every abbreviation there is. Until today.

Today I discovered my most favorite abbreviation ever.
Today I discovered that I am PUPO. Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise.
Now don't get too excited because I am not pregnant yet. We just did the IUI a few hours ago and we won't know if this cycle was successful for a few weeks. But this newfound PUPO status allows me to really hope, to really believe that this time might be successful. It's and abbreviation reserved for the select few of us who have undergone ART, where science has stepped in and given us the chance at parenthood that Mother Nature herself couldn't provide.

The IUI went really well today. Scott's count was through the roof and even after the wash he still had a very high count. (He wants everyone to know that he has super swimmers.) Ater they did the wash the sample was a grade "A", which is really good. It means all the little guys were moving well and swimming straight. My ultrasound on Friday showed two very good size follicles. According to the technician and the RE I should release two eggs. With two eggs releasing we have a very good chance that at least one will fertilize. The procedure today was very quick and painless. The woman who performed the IUI was great and explained everything to us before she did it.

We left the office feeling very hopeful and now knowing --that at least in the world of IF-- for the next two weeks we are PUPO.

2 comments:

  1. woohoo PUPO!! I'm glad yours was painless. 3 out of 4 of my IUI's were painful, don't know what those doctors were doing in there. LOL

    Thanks for reading and post on my blog girl! I LOVE that Scott calls BBC your Fantasy Baby league..LMAO!! That is a riot!

    So when is your beta? Do you think you will take a hpt beforehand? I know it's probably a hard question to answer right now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. PUPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I love it! It is so hopeful.

    Sending prayers and love to you and Scott!

    ReplyDelete